History & Culture

Typical examples of sacral folk architecture in eastern Slovakia are wooden churches (UNESCO). You may find them in High Tatras, Starý and Dolný Smokovec, in Tatranská Kotlina and in Tatranská Javorina. Important historical churches are in Poprad and Kežmarok.

013---vysoke-tatry---symbolicky-cintorin

The Symbolic Cemetery, Popradské pleso

The Symbolical Cemetery is a dignified memory of the victims of the Tatras. It is situated at Popradské pleso lake in the High Tatras. The visitors are welcomed by the motto written on the chapel wall: “For the memory of the dead – to warn those who are alive”. The Symbolical Cemetery is situated below […]

Kostol2WEB

New Evangelical Church, Kežmarok

In the second half of the 19th century the Protestants from Kežmarok decided to build a new church. A delegation of the congregation went to Vienna in 1870 to visit the regional architect Teofil Hansen. He gifted the deputy with his own design, which was originally made for building a church in Orient. The project […]

Kežmarok

Wooden Articular Evangelical Church [UNESCO]
Kežmarok

This national cultural monument is one of the eight Slovak wooden churches included in UNSECO world cultural heritage list since 2008. The church comes from the time of religious bondage of Protestants. According to the assembly in Sopron the Protestants could build their churches only out of town walls without solid foundations, from wood, no […]

den-bazilika-minor-sv--egidia-bardejov0-Europa-mesta

Roman Catholic Church of St. Egidius, Poprad

Church of St. Egidius is considered to be the most valuable historical sight of Poprad. It stands in the middle of the town and dates back to the second half of 13th century. It´s Gothic Roman Catholic building and next to it a typical Spiš Renaissance bell-tower with diamond gable from 1658 is located, a […]

rimskokatolicky-kostol-sv-juraja

Roman Catholic Church of St.George
Poprad – Spišská Sobota

Church of St. George is the oldest building of the square in Spišská Sobota and dates back to the middle of 12th century. The main altar is from 1516 and was made in the workshop of Master Paul of Levoča. The church is adorned also by the late gothic altars.