Bratislava Transport Museum is a transport museum in Bratislava, Slovakia. It is a branch of the Slovak Technical Museum in Košice, is situated on the site of the first steam-railway station in Bratislava on Šancová Street, near the current main railway station in central Bratislava. It opened on June 24, 1999. The two exhibition halls of the museum include just under 100 motorcars, 25 […]
The concept behind the exhibition of the City History Museum in the Old Town Hall is a presentation of the history of the people living in Bratislava within the context of the events that have shaped their lives from pre-history up to the present day. One event that merits inclusion is the establishment of the […]
Bratislava Castle is the site of the Historical Museum, a branch of the Slovak National Museum (SNM). It documents the development of society in Slovakia from the Middle Ages until the present day. It holds extensive collections of coins, furniture, visual arts, clocks, historical weapons, glass items, porcelain and ceramics, fashion accessories and silver articles. […]
This museum, a branch of the Slovak National Museum, contains a collection of treasures from Slovakia’s distant past and various archaeological finds from the early Stone Age up to the 13th century.
This neo-Romanesque Calvinist Reform church was designed by architect Franz Wimmer and built in 1913. It displays characteristics reminiscent of the Chicago school of architecture. The site was previously occupied by the main post office, which now stands across the square.
The shrine, together with the parish and the nearby secondary school, comprised a unique complex built in the secession style. The shrine was built to the plans of the Budapest architect Edmund Lechner in 1909-1913. It is famous for its blue plaster with inlaid, blue-glazed majolica as well as its glazed roof-cover. The mosaic of […]
The Trinitarian Order, who ransomed Christian captives from Turkish imprisonment, settled in Bratislava at the end of the 17th century. In 1717-1725, they built a church and a monastery of their own, which ranked among the most attractive constructions of baroque-style in Bratislava. The monastery has not been preserved, and in 1844 the Zupa house […]
The Order of St Clare settled in Bratislava in 1297 and constructed a church and a monastery of their own. The single-nave church, built in Gothic style, is from the first half of the 14th century. In about 1400, a remarkable pentagonal spire with sculptures was annexed. Only its pyramid-shape top is built in neo-Gothic […]
The Order of Capuchins was active in Bratislava in the second half of the 17th century. They built a simple church and monastery in the extramural sector. The Statue of St. Stephen decorates the present façade in neo-Romanesque style. The main altar depicts S.t Stephen putting the historic Hungary under the protection of the Virgin […]
The Franciscan Church is the oldest existing religious (sacral) building in the Old Town of Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia.The church was consecrated in the year 1297 in the presence of King Andrew III of Hungary. In the past, the church building served for larger gatherings of townspeople or Hungarian nobles. In 1526 Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor was elected here to become the King of Hungary. […]